Bilingual Medico-Legal Assistant
Employment Type: Regular, full-time, with benefits
The Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) is a non-profit medical mutual defence organization with more than 100 years of national experience related to virtually every medico-legal issue. About 95 per cent of the doctors licensed to practise in Canada are CMPA members.
The CMPA protects the professional integrity of doctors by providing services including legal defence, indemnification, risk management, educational programs and general advice. In addition, we promote and support medico-legal and practical measures likely to improve the practice of medicine.
The bilingual medico-legal assistant (MLA) provides high quality administrative and secretarial support to medical officers in the Physician Consulting Services (PCS) department in both English and French. Specifically, the MLA assists the medical officers in the effective and efficient management/monitoring, review and maintenance of medico-legal case files and ultimately, in the delivery of core services to CMPA members. The MLA plays a key role in ensuring that CMPA medico-legal files and various other types of records are created and/or maintained in an accurate, appropriate and timely fashion. Key activities include transcription, case file and document review and management, document analysis and data capture. Information of a highly confidential and sensitive nature is involved and the work must be performed in a discrete, accurate and efficient manner. The job is performed in a team environment and within the scope of the Association's policies and procedures.
- Provide high-quality administrative and secretarial support to the medical officers and senior medical officers in both official languages.
- Prioritize case management workload (i.e. transcription, legal correspondence, case file maintenance).
- Transcribe dictation with medical terminology.
- Collaborate with legal case administrators (LCA) on administrative maintenance for all civil legal cases opened 1998 and later.
- Manage most correspondence received from members and law firms.
- Monitor file activity and update Bring Forward (BF) system.
- Initiate appropriate letters to provincial counsel regarding changes to key file information.
- Forward settlement funds requests to Finance Department and counsel.
- Enter data in database to record and monitor file progress.
- Enter relevant case information in database; close case files in database.
- Write Case Review Committee notes.
- Review BF report and initiate reminder letters for outstanding material.
- Assist medical officers and senior Medical officers by handling telephone calls on request.
- Actively participate in team and departmental meetings.
- Work on special projects as assigned by Supervisor.
- Medical Secretary/Administrative Diploma or college diploma in a related field.
- 4 to 6 years experience working in a medical office or similar setting.
- Experience transcribing medical texts via dictaphone or dictation software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and French.
- Advanced knowledge of medical terminology in English and French.
- Basic knowledge of legal terminology an asset.
- Ability to quickly and accurately transcribe medico-legal dictation and enter data into a database.
- Ability to exercise judgement and handle highly confidential information with discretion.
- Advanced computer skills; knowledge of word processing software, electronic scheduling system, electronic file management software and databases required; knowledge of dictation software an asset.
- Advanced organizational skills with ability to multi-task essential.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with ability to work in a team environment essential.
- Data entry experience.
- Typing 50 words per minute.
- Selected candidates may be required to complete a skills assessment.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of academic and professional qualifications.
- We wish to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package as well as access to two on-site fitness centres. Please forward your resume quoting posting #12-040W to:
Human Resources Specialist
Canadian Medical Protective Association
P.O. Box 8225, Station T
Ottawa ON K1G 3H7