In accordance with its By-law, the CMPA holds an annual meeting, normally in conjunction with the Canadian Medical Association's annual meeting, making it possible for members to attend both events. Attendance at the CMPA Annual Meeting is generally restricted to members and invited guests.
During the annual meeting, a review of the previous year's performance and the audited financial statements are presented; the results of the council election and the aggregate fee requirement for the forthcoming year are announced; any proposed changes to the CMPA's By-law are discussed and ratified; and questions or concerns from members regarding the Association's business are addressed.
The meeting is normally followed by an information session on a policy matter of interest to physicians.
2017 CMPA Annual Meeting
Québec City, Québec
August 23, 2017
1:30 to 4:30 p.m.
1100 René-Lévesque Blvd. East
Québec, QC G1R 4P3
Planning to attend? A few things you may want to know
- Pre-registration is not required. Members will register on arrival.
- Members are responsible to reserve their own accommodations.
- Simultaneous English/French translation will be available and all documentation will be provided in both official languages.
- Presentations and documentation provided at the meeting will be posted on this website.
- The meeting will be recorded by video, audio, and photography.
- Attendance at the meeting and information session will constitute consent to potentially appear in these media.
- A webcast of the meeting and information session will be available on the CMPA website within 5 business days.
- The media is also invited to attend.
- It is prohibited, without authority of the CMPA, to record any portion of the annual meeting or information session (including presentations, supporting audiovisual material, posters, and displays), whether by video, audio, photography, or any other mechanism.
- The CMPA is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of all its members, including those with disabilities. Please contact us prior to the meeting if you have any accessibility needs.
1:30 - 2:45 p.m.
The CMPA Annual Meeting will feature the presentation of financial statements, announce the 2017-2018 CMPA Council, and the 2018 aggregate fee requirements.
Estimated start time of 3:00 p.m. however may begin earlier following adjournment of the business meeting
The CMPA is assembling a panel of highly-qualified speakers to address the important topic of “The physician’s voice: Empowering better healthcare”. The speakers will provide insight into the subject of the physician as advocate, and a Q&A period will follow. The final panel will be announced at a later date.
How to initiate a motion for consideration at a CMPA Annual Meeting
Members who wish to initiate a motion at an upcoming annual meeting are governed by rules and procedures, ensuring a consistent and fair process.
If you would like to bring forward a motion for consideration, complete and sign the Notice of Motion form and Member Support for Notice of Motion form and submit to the CMPA via fax, mail, or personal delivery, or send a scanned PDF file via email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 60 days prior to the annual meeting. Members are encouraged to contact us for further information or to discuss a draft motion prior to submitting it.
Have questions or need more information? Contact us.
2016 CMPA Annual Meeting
Vancouver, British Columbia
August 24, 2016
The following materials were presented during the business meeting:
- 2016 Annual meeting slide presentation [PDF]
- Minutes of the 2015 CMPA Annual Meeting [PDF]
- 2015 Annual Report
- 2015 Audited financial statements [PDF]
- Membership fees for 2017 [PDF]
- 2016 Election results [PDF]
Topic: Opioid prescribing: Conversations. Collaboration. Solutions.
The CMPA’s information session involved a group of highly-qualified panelists who provided insight on the significant and highly relevant topic of opioid prescribing. * CME credits were provided for this event.
The CMPA papers entitled “Opioids: We can do better [PDF]” and “Opioid prescribing for chronic non-cancer pain [PDF]” were also released.
The moderator and panelists, as outlined below, provided insight into this subject. View the slide presentation [PDF]
- Ms. Pamela Fayerman, Moderator
Medical/Health Issues Reporter, Vancouver Sun
- Dr. Gary Franklin
Research Professor, Departments of Environmental Health, Neurology, and Health Services, University of Washington
Medical Director, Washington State Department of Labor and Industries
- Dr. Heidi Oetter
Registrar, College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia
- Dr. Benedikt Fischer
Senior Scientist, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto
- Mr. Phil Emberley
Director of Professional Affairs, Canadian Pharmacists Association
- Dr. Gordon Wallace
Managing Director, Safe Medical Care Group, CMPA
This event is an Accredited Group Learning Activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification program of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and approved by the CMPA for up to 1.5 MOC credits. This Group Learning program has been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada and the British Columbia Chapter for up to 1.5 Mainpro+ credits.
Mark your calendar for the Association's future annual meeting and information sessions (dates and venues subject to change).
2018 CMPA Annual Meeting
August 22, 2018
2019 CMPA Annual Meeting
August 21, 2019
Past annual meetings
- Find out about the information session on end-of-life care, held at the 2015 CMPA Annual Meeting in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- View the presentations and webcast from the information session about the impact of big data on medical care, held at the 2014 CMPA Annual Meeting in Ottawa, Ontario.
- View the presentations and webcast from the information session about the role of physician leaders in addressing physician disruptive behaviour, held at the 2013 CMPA Annual Meeting in Calgary, Alberta.
- Find out about the information session on physician wellness, held at the 2012 CMPA Annual Meeting in Yellowknife, N.W.T.