The CMPA is an important, highly visible, respected, and trusted organization within the Canadian medical system. Physicians across Canada often turn to the CMPA not only for assistance in times of trouble but also for advice even in the absence of a medico legal threat. The motto "for physicians and by physicians" has stood the organization in good stead for over a century. Members consistently value the physician to physician service that the Association has consistently provided over the years. Sound advice and assistance is provided for a variety of medico-legal issues. Excellent legal services are provided by carefully selected regional legal firms. One of the fundamental tenets of the Associaton has been maintaining the integrity of Canadian physicians but not to the detriment of patients who have been harmed by negligent care and are deserving of compensation.
The past two decades have seen the Association move from a reactive to a proactive posture. The Association is now active in a variety of educational spheres and provides information and advice face to face, in print, and on line. These educational initiatives are important and focused not solely on practicing physicians but also post graduate trainees where an ounce of prevention can yield a pound of cure. Recently the association has created Saegis, a subsidiary organization, to provide additional services and education to physicians whose medico legal profile is outside the norm. It is essential that the CMPA maintain existing educational resources and continue to explore new opportunities. it is important that young physicians see the CMPA as relevant and evolving organization.
As a councillor my goals would be:
1) Assisting the Case Review Committee with reviews of difficult and contentious cases
2) Exploring processes that could lead to an earlier resolution of legal cases such as early decisions on defensibilty and limiting the number of defence experts approached
3) Maintaining and growing educational initiatives
4) Encouraging sharing of medico legal data with other organizations who have an interest in patient safety
5) Examining the process for assistance with college complaints to determine whether efficiencies might be identified
6) Reviewing dismissed cases as to whether compensation is warranted
With your support please help me realize these goals.