Coping with the stress of medical practice or a medical-legal issue?
As physicians, we know practising medicine is often stressful. Increasing practice demands and ever-evolving societal expectations can generate intense pressure. Combine these stressors with medical-legal action, College/hospital complaints, or privacy/human rights complaints and you can easily find yourself in a negative place.
You're not alone. The CMPA can help
CMPA physician advisors – peers with extensive training and experience – are available to help members understand, navigate and cope with the stress of daily practice and medical-legal issues.
- To speak to a physician advisor, fill out the Request Medical-Legal Assistance form online (member login required), or contact us at 1-800-267-6522.
- Watch the "Benefits of CMPA membership" video to learn how our physician advisors can support you
Members receiving advice from CMPA counsel are encouraged to share their feelings and concerns with their lawyers. You may also wish to discuss the issue with a trusted colleague or department head to help put matters into perspective.
CMPA articles on physician wellness
The following articles provide information, advice and guidance on coping with stress and managing medical-legal issues.
- Coping with a College complaint: Suggestions for reducing anxiety (April 2013)
- What to do if you’re notified of a College complaint (March 2018)
- Working the night shift and managing the risks (October 2014)
- Medico-legal problems and their emotional impact (August 2012)
- Coping with an adverse event, complaint or litigation (January 2009)
- Residents and resiliency (November 2016)
- Physician health: Putting yourself first (September 2015)
- When physicians feel bullied: Effective coping strategies (March 2014)
- A medico-legal perspective on physician health and wellness: Removing barriers to treatment of physician patients (October 2012)
Provincial physician health programs
A number of provincial organizations offer health programs to support physicians, residents and their families. Contact your local organization to get the help you need.
- Forum of Canadian Physician Health Programs
- Physician Health Program of British Columbia
- Physician and Family Support Program (Alberta)
- Saskatchewan Physician Health Program
- Doctors Manitoba Health and Wellness Program
- Physician Health Program (Ontario)
- Quebec Physicians Health Program
- Physician Health Program (New Brunswick)
- Professional Support Program (Nova Scotia)
- Prince Edward Island Physician Support Program
- Newfoundland and Labrador Physician Care Network
- ePhysicianHealth.com: A comprehensive, online physician health and wellness resource.
- CanMEDS Physician Health Guide: A practical guide for introducing, promoting and teaching physical, emotional and spiritual well-being.
- Physician Litigation Stress Resource Center: (From the United States.) A repository of resources to help healthcare professionals cope with the stress of medical-legal actions.
- Canadian Association of Physicians with Disabilities: A support group that facilitates an online social network for physicians living with disabilities.