Bilingual Physician Advisor – Practice Improvement
The Physician Advisor in Practice Improvement contributes to leading-edge education and coaching for physicians and other members of medical teams across Canada to promote the provision of safe medical care. This includes developing and evaluating educational curriculum; delivering educational presentations across Canada in a variety of formats, participating in the implementation of specific practice improvement projects; and authoring publications, including articles for the CMPA Perspective and submissions for peer reviewed medical journals.
As an employee of the CMPA, the Physician Advisor will participate in effective team, departmental and cross-departmental activities and communications, and work to promote a member-focused, professional and ethical culture and supportive work environment at the CMPA.
Provide safe medical care and medico-legal education across Canada to groups of members and as appropriate to other health professionals
- Collaborate to create, update and evaluate multimedia presentations and education assets/materials
- Deliver education to audiences of varying sizes and specialities, in face-to-face presentations or by using webinars or other technologies.
- Participate in training and coaching of physicians and other team members on issues of safety and reliability in health care
- Act as a professional, credible and effective ambassador of the CMPA
- Conduct pre-session needs assessments to plan impactful education as well as post-session evaluations to assess session impact and effectiveness
- Receive and respond appropriately to coaching, mentoring and performance feedback from peers and management
Develop content for various publication channels
- Author or support the authoring of educational articles and materials on a variety of educational and risk management-related topics for CMPA communication channels, such as the CMPA Perspective magazine, the CMPA Good Practices Guide, and peer-reviewed medical journals and other publications
- Collaborate with colleagues to review, comment and/or critique draft content
Collaborate on analytic inquiries to produce valuable and credible content
- Work with colleagues to:
- define or refine study requirements
- review and analyse data to ensure full-understanding and proper interpretation of the findings
- seek additional knowledge from the published medical literature, relevant sources and stakeholders
- appropriately determine medical care/medico-legal messages for audiences
Contribute to the development of the CMPA education curriculum
- Develop, deliver and evaluate the CMPA educational products and services, and related curriculum, through a variety of delivery mechanisms tailored to specific audiences.
- Assist in the development of the CMPA curriculum based on the Association’s strategic goals, using best practices in adult learning, including the use of educational design principles appropriate to the audience of learners
- Develop, use and analyse pertinent evaluation criteria (satisfaction, commitment to change, and appropriate clinical outcomes) for educational programs, consulting programs and other products and services to assess their impact and effectiveness
Consult to implement Practice Improvement Program/Projects at clinical sites
- Consult with individual practice improvement program/project sites to foster the development of improvements in medical care at the local system and individual provider levels
- Support clinical leaders and change management at individual project implementation sites
- Provide ongoing advice and support to individual members at program/project implementation sites
- Support the evaluation of practice improvement initiatives at individual program/project implementation sites
During surge times experienced by the Department of Physician Consulting Services, selected Practice Improvement physicians will provide one-to-one telephone medico-legal advice and education to members
- Participate in suitable orientation and training
- Seek additional support and guidance as required to provide accurate and effective one-to-one advice to members
- Receive and respond appropriately to coaching, mentoring and performance feedback from Senior Physician Advisors – Physician Consulting Services
Participate in other related services and work as required
- Participate in departmental sessions to plan departmental educational direction, implement educational best practices and contribute to the development of best-practices and innovative educational tools.
- Identify trends and inform colleagues and management
- Contribute innovative ideas and suggestions for educational design and evaluation
- Assist in creating and developing new and innovative risk management and educational tools (e.g., e-learning tools and products)
- Keep abreast of Association policies and practices, and developments in risk management, patient safety and the medical profession on the Canadian and international stages to maintain the highest standard in the provision of up-to-date and meaningful education and advice:
- Participate in regular training related to education theory and techniques, patient safety and risk management
- Pursue CME/CPD opportunities and maintain memberships in appropriate professional associations
- Regularly communicate and collaborate with Physician Advisors – Physician Consulting Services and others at the CMPA to understand medico-legal and member trends and to foster collaborative work relationships
- Actively participate in department/team meetings and activities, follow policies and procedures and support department/team decisions, goals and objectives
- Participate in identifying and implementing improvements to processes and practices
- Perform project work and/or participate on departmental/cross-departmental working groups
- May participate in stakeholder relations activities, including with medical schools, as delegated by senior management
- Liaise with medical schools on matters of interest to the CMPA
- Attend committee meetings
- Provide oral or written submissions
- Document and report to CMPA management on these occurrences
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by CMPA management
- A degree in medicine with licence to practise medicine in Canada
- Sound knowledge of patient safety, quality improvement science and leading edge, proven adult learning pedagogy
- 10 years clinical experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are mandatory
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in French are preferred
- Knowledge and experience in organizing educational programs across the continuum of medical education
- Ability to deliver pertinent, engaging and impactful education to audiences of varying sizes and specialities in a variety of settings and contexts
- Ability and willingness to travel across Canada
- Ability to provide advice and support to physician members and others with empathy and diplomacy
- Ability to organize time and work effectively and to manage multiple and diverse priorities
- Strong analytical skills, and the ability to assume responsibility and accountability for actions
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, and the ability and willingness to create and support a professional and positive workplace culture
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary, team-based corporate work environment
- An appreciation for the value of continuous improvement and the ability to actively participate in implementing improvements to departmental processes and practices
- Flexible and able to support and adapt to change
- Ability to work in a fully computerized work environment
- Strong self-evaluation skills and well developed abilities to incorporate feedback in personal development planning
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant federal, provincial and territorial legislation affecting day-to-day medical practice is an asset
- Experience implementing quality improvement projects within healthcare is an asset
- Previous consulting experience within healthcare is an asset
- Selected candidates may be required to complete a skills assessment.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of academic and professional qualifications.
- We wish to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- Accessibility in the Workplace: The CMPA is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of its members, employees, and others, including those with disabilities, by striving to prevent and remove barriers to accessibility. The CMPA will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs.
We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package as well as access to 2 on-site fitness centres. Individuals are invited to submit an updated resume and letter of interest outlining why you are interested in the opportunity and the assets you would bring to the organization. Interested and qualified individuals are invited to submit an updated resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting job posting # 17-026 by 4:00 p.m., Friday, May 19, 2017.