Medical-Legal Assistant (Three Positions Available)
One 12-Month Term, Full-time Position; One Permanent, Full-time position, and One Bilingual 18-Month Term, Full-time Position
Level 6 (minimum $46,371; mid-point $55,645; control point $60,282)
The Medical-Legal Assistant (MLA) provides high quality administrative and secretarial support to Physician Advisors in the Physician Consulting Services (PCS) department. Specifically, the MLA assists the Physician Advisors in the effective and efficient management/monitoring, review and maintenance of medico-legal case files and ultimately, in the delivery of core services to CMPA members. The MLA plays a key role in ensuring that CMPA medico-legal files and various other types of records are created and/or maintained in an accurate, appropriate and timely fashion. Key activities include transcription, case file and document review and management, document analysis and data capture. Information of a highly confidential and sensitive nature is involved and the work must be performed in a discrete, accurate and efficient manner. The job is performed in a team environment and within the scope of the Association's policies and procedures.
- Provide high-quality administrative and secretarial support to the Physician Advisors and Senior Physician Advisors.
- Prioritize case management workload (i.e. transcription, legal correspondence, case file maintenance).
- Transcribe dictation with medical terminology.
- Collaborate with Legal Case Administrators (LCA) on administrative maintenance for all civil legal cases opened 1998 and later.
- Manage most correspondence received from members and law firms.
- Monitor file activity and update Bring Forward (BF) system.
- Initiate appropriate letters to provincial counsel regarding changes to key file information.
- Forward settlement funds requests to Finance Department and counsel.
- Enter data in database to record and monitor file progress.
- Enter relevant case information in database; close case files in database.
- Write Case Review Committee notes.
- Review BF report and initiate reminder letters for outstanding material.
- Assist Physician Advisors and Senior Physician Advisors by handling telephone calls on request.
- Actively participate in team and departmental meetings.
- Work on special projects as assigned by Supervisor.
- Medical Secretary/Administrative Diploma or college diploma in a related field.
- 4 to 6 years’ experience working in a medical office or similar setting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Advanced knowledge of medical terminology in English.
- Experience transcribing medical texts via dictaphone or dictation software.
- Physician Consulting Services file management experience is an asset.
- Basic knowledge of legal terminology an asset.
- Ability to quickly and accurately transcribe medico-legal dictation and enter data into a database.
- Ability to exercise judgement and handle highly confidential information with discretion.
- Advanced computer skills; knowledge of word processing software, electronic scheduling system, electronic file management software and databases required; knowledge of dictation software an asset.
- Advanced organizational skills with ability to multi-task essential.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with ability to work in a team environment essential.
- Data entry experience.
- Typing 50 words per minute.
- Bilingualism (English and French) considered an asset.
- Selected candidates may be required to complete a skills assessment.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of academic and professional qualifications.
- We wish to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- Accessibility in the Workplace: The CMPA is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of its members, employees, and others, including those with disabilities, by striving to prevent and remove barriers to accessibility. The CMPA will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs.
We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package as well as access to 2 on-site fitness centres. Please forward your résumé quoting posting #18-011 to firstname.lastname@example.org and also indicate if you’re interested in the permanent, 18-month term, or both types of opportunities.