Regular, Full-time based in Ottawa (relocation required). Minimum work hours: 35 per week, Monday-Friday.
Senior Physician Advisor
This is your opportunity to join a dynamic team of dedicated and collegial physicians who support their colleagues across the country in medical-legal matters.
The mission of the CMPA is to protect the professional integrity of physicians and promote safe medical care in Canada and its vision is to be valued as an essential component of the Canadian healthcare system.
As a Physician Advisor, you will contribute to Physician Consulting Services team by providing professional physician to physician medical-legal advice and support to CMPA members. This includes the provision of one to one medical-legal advice and education and collegial support to members; professional case management on medical-legal files; medical opinion to the Association’s legal counsel and CMPA Committees; and other related activities. On occasion, some Physician Advisors may also participate in the delivery of Department of Practice Improvement products and services, including educational presentations, authoring, and collaborating on medical-legal research inquiries.
As an employee of the CMPA, the Physician Advisor will participate in effective team, departmental and cross-departmental communications, and work to promote a member-focused, professional and ethical culture and work environment.
Provide support to members and one to one medical-legal advice and education
- Recognize and acknowledge the member’s stress, and provide support as appropriate
- Consider referral to external help as necessary
- Communicate as necessary with Counsel assigned to the file
- Provide one-to-one medical-legal advice and education to members capitalizing on the “teachable moment”
Provide professional case file management on Association files/cases
- Open file and provide appropriate file coding to ensure proper classification
- Effectively communicate (verbally and in writing) to the member the legal process including the member’s role in the process
- Review the case file, and analyze and assess the appropriateness of actions taken by the member
- Review, assess, and react to correspondence and reports received
- Vet draft documents from members for eventual submission to medical licensing authorities and other medical and judicial bodies
- Complete case assessment reports, including:
- Categorize the defensibility of the case
- Prepare reports on medical aspects of the case at prescribed intervals
- Liaise with General Counsel and Provincial Counsel to arrange legal assistance when necessary
- Maintain on-going liaison and advice on the medical aspects of the case to ensure that the case is managed in a timely manner and that medical input is provided as the case progresses
- Liaise with assigned legal counsel
- Review relevant correspondence (e.g. Provincial Counsel and General Counsel documents, medical records, expert reports)
- Dictate correspondence and documents including medical opinions and related advice to keep involved parties informed and to ensure that documentary evidence of all actions is contained in the case file
- Review and monitor case files and bring forward (BF) items as required
- Oversee and monitor the conduct of the case and take pro-active and reactive actions as warranted based on experience
- Respond to concerns arising from the professional practice of our members.
- Advise members accurately, thoroughly, promptly, and with sensitivity
- Maintain communication with members as needed
- Take personal responsibility for promptly correcting service problems or issues in the member’s best interest
- Provide authorizations and formal case review, including:
- Present case to Case Review Committee (CRC) as required
- Provide/obtain financial authorization for disposition of the case
- Close case files with appropriate closure codes to ensure accurate file outcome statistics. When required, advise administrative staff on appropriate closure codes
- Assess appropriateness of expert fee accounts
- Ensure that file management complies with current privacy requirements
Provide medical opinion to legal counsel and CMPA committees, management and staff
- Provide medical opinion to legal counsel, CMPA physician colleagues and staff on Association files/cases and services
- Provide medical opinion to augment the knowledge of CMPA Council and committees of Council, including case review processes
- Share medical opinion and experience with other CMPA physician employees to improve/augment the case file management process
- Provide input to CMPA management to improve services to members and the systems supporting these services
On occasion, may participate in the delivery of Department of Practice Improvement products and services, subject to management approval
- Participate in suitable orientation and training
- Receive coaching, mentoring and performance feedback from Senior Physician Advisor, Practice Improvement
- May include work in one or more of the following:
- Providing face-to-face medical-legal education to members
- Developing content for various CMPA communication channels
- Collaborating on medical-legal research inquiries to produce valuable and credible content
Participate in other related services and work as required
- May participate in mentoring new Physician Advisors during their training and orientation, subject to management approval
- Identify trends and notify colleagues and management
- Keep abreast of Association policies and practices, and developments in the medical profession to ensure the provision of appropriate advice:
- Participate at round tables and other professional gatherings
- Pursue CME opportunities and maintain membership in professional associations
- Respond to general inquiries of a diverse nature which may involve drawing upon multiple information resources within and outside the Association
- Regularly communicate and collaborate with Physician Advisors and other members of Practice Improvement to understand risk management education and patient safety trends and to foster collaborative work relationships
- Actively participate in department/team meetings and activities, and support department/team decisions, goals and objectives
- Participate in identifying and implementing improvements to processes and practices
- Perform project work and/or participate on departmental/cross-departmental working groups
- May participate in stakeholder relations activities as delegated by senior management
- Attend meetings
- Provide oral or written submissions
- Document and report to CMPA management on these occurrences
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by CMPA management
- Degree in medicine, with licence to practice medicine in Canada
- Minimum of 10 years clinical experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are mandatory
- Ability to provide advice and support to physician members with empathy and diplomacy
- Ability to organize time and work effectively, and to manage multiple and diverse priorities
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, and the ability to assume responsibility and accountability for actions
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, and the ability and willingness to create and support a professional and positive workplace culture
- Ability to identify and contribute to conflict resolution in the workplace
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary, team-based corporate work environment
- An appreciation for the value of continuous improvement and the ability to actively participate in implementing improvements to departmental processes and practices
- Flexibility and ability to support and adapt to change
- Ability to work in a fully computerized work environment
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant federal, provincial and territorial legislation affecting day to day medical practice is an asset
- Selected candidates may be required to complete a skills assessment.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of academic and professional qualifications.
- We wish to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- Accessibility in the Workplace: The CMPA is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of its members, employees, and others, including those with disabilities, by striving to prevent and remove barriers to accessibility. The CMPA will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs.
We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package as well as access to 2 on-site fitness centres. Qualified individuals are invited to submit an updated resume and letter of intent outlining your interest in the opportunity and the assets you would bring to the organization. Applications may be forwarded in confidence by June 30th, 2017 at 4:00pm to email@example.com, quoting posting # 17-030.