Portfolio Manager, Public Assets
Regular, Full time
Base salary plus variable pay component
As a member of the Investment team, the incumbent is the Portfolio Manager focusing on external Public Assets within the CMPA Portfolio, including traditional and hedge funds mandates. The incumbent will also contribute towards the development and management of internal strategies.
The Portfolio Manager, Public Assets will be the primary relationship contact person on certain existing fund relationships for monitoring and reporting purposes. The incumbent will have a sound knowledge of manager oversight as it relates to external money managers.
Under the guidance of the Senior Portfolio Manager, Public Assets, the incumbent will work on various projects and identification of new opportunities (both external and internal) for inclusion within the portfolio which may include general research, working with consultants, creating models, analysing performance and risk, conducting due diligence work on new or existing relationships, preparing reports and making recommendations.
This position has a wide range of portfolio management responsibilities including:
- Contribute to the preparation of quarterly documents presented to the Investment Committee, including (but not limited to) public assets portfolio reviews, manager status reports and specific manager memos.
- Find innovative approaches to research and formulate recommendations on various related topics such as manager selection, performance and risk, liability-driven investing, asset allocation, active versus passive deployments etc.
- Carry out oversight functions of assigned public asset mandates by liaising with managers through e-mail/telephone/site visits regarding organizational changes, fund developments, performance and risk issues and/or upcoming investment decisions. Attend investor meetings hosted by the managers. Document and circulate key information relating to these interactions.
- Assist with the development and implementation of internal strategies or mandates.
- Identify prospective public asset managers and assessing whether they present a good fit to the existing public investment portfolio. Provide written summaries of meetings or material on prospective managers.
- Conduct manager selection process and due diligence work on some public asset mandates, strategies or managers. This may involve a review of the investment philosophy, strategy and process through site-visits to the manager’s main offices to meet all top individuals involved in the investment process and a study of past performance.
- Contribute to the periodic review of the CMPA Investment Policy by collaborating with the Investments team and providing inputs and ideas related to the role of Public Assets in a Total Portfolio context.
- Provide the Portfolio Accounting & Reporting (Back Office) and the Performance and Risk (Middle Office) teams with advance notice of additions or terminations to the Public Assets portfolio. Circulate all necessary information for transitions/additions to be implemented properly.
- Review reporting packages covering public assets generated by the Senior Risk Manager and follow-up on any non-compliant item within the public asset Portfolio and provide an appropriate courses of action for all exceptions.
- Four-year degree plus Master’s Degree, or professional designation equivalent to 2 or 3 additional years of education.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation is required. MBA, FRM, CAIA, CMT, is an asset.
- Minimum of 9 years relevant work experience in the investment or portfolio management industry.
- Excellent financial analytical skills and functional knowledge of computer-based analysis and modelling, and a sound understanding of various performance and risk measures.
- Experience with external manager oversight functions, including manager selection, monitoring and transitioning.
- Extensive knowledge of Alternative investment strategies (Hedge Funds) including Structured Credit, Derivatives-based, Volatility trading and other specialized strategies.
- Experience in reviewing investment management agreements, fund offering documents and negotiating contracts with external managers would be an asset
- Experience as an equity or fixed income analyst would be an asset.
- Experience with Bloomberg, VBA, SQL and advanced Excel skills would be an asset.
- A desire to maintain strong current knowledge of investment research, trends and directions.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to handle confidential matters with discretion, tact and good judgment.
- Selected candidates may be required to complete a skills assessment.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of academic and professional qualifications.
- We wish to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- Accessibility in the Workplace: The CMPA is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of its members, employees, and others, including those with disabilities, by striving to prevent and remove barriers to accessibility. The CMPA will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs.
Please forward your cover letter and résumé by 4:00pm on Friday September 15, 2017 quoting posting #17-047 to email@example.com.