Safe medical care — It’s your move!
A full-day, interactive, face-to-face educational event targeted to residents in the early years of their training (PGY1 and PGY2), focusing on patient safety and medical-legal risk reduction. The standardized curriculum is based on CMPA medical-legal risk data and the CanMEDS 2015 and CanMEDS-FM competencies. The workshop content was co-created with volunteers from Resident Doctors of Canada (RDoC). CMPA physician advisors and legal counsel, who have specialized content expertise, will facilitate all plenaries and workshops.
Watch the video to see how the CMPA is rethinking safe medical care and responding to the needs of Canadian postgraduate trainees.
Value for residents
- Gain practical tips to provide safe medical care
- Reduce medical-legal risk
- Learn how the CMPA supports its members, including residents
Value for faculty
- Help residents achieve patient safety-related CanMEDS competencies
- Access tools and resources that support faculty in teaching medical-legal topics
- University of Toronto - Small-scale pilot
- University of Toronto - Large-scale pilot
- McGill University
- University of Toronto
- Queen’s University
- University of Alberta
- Dalhousie University
- University of Ottawa
- 10 Canadian medical schools
- All 17 Canadian medical schools
Plenary 1 – How residents get into trouble Learning objective:
- List 3 patient safety issues identified from the CMPA’s files involving residents
45 minutes each
Informed consent Learning objectives:
Documentation Learning objectives:
- Outline the standards for informed consent
- Practise conducting a consent discussion
- Document your consent discussions effectively
Disclosure of harm Learning objectives:
- Describe key principles of effective documentation
- Identify at least 1 area for improvement in your medical record-keeping
Teamwork and delegation Learning objectives:
- Describe the elements of the disclosure of a harmful patient safety incident
- Participate in a simulated disclosure discussion
- Outline one’s responsibilities in safe delegation and supervision
- Practise strategies for critical communication
- Describe how you would foster a ‘speaking up’ culture in your practice
Buffet lunch (included)
Plenary 2 – Overcoming roadblocks: What to do if you get into trouble
- Describe how the CMPA supports members faced with a medical-legal complaint
- Get answers to your medical-legal questions
For more information, send an email to email@example.com
You may also be interested in ...
Join other physicians to learn about better management of test results.
An evening to help physicians improve diagnostic errors, medication-related harm, and EMR documentation.