Safe medical care — It’s your move!
A full-day, interactive, face-to-face educational event targeted to residents in the early years of their training (PGY1 and PGY2), focusing on patient safety and medical-legal risk reduction. The standardized curriculum is based on CMPA medical-legal risk data and the CanMEDS 2015 and CanMEDS-FM competencies. The workshop content was co-created with volunteers from Resident Doctors of Canada (RDoC). CMPA physician advisors and legal counsel, who have specialized content expertise, will facilitate all plenaries and workshops.
Value for residents
- Gain practical tips to provide safe medical care
- Reduce medical-legal risk
- Learn how the CMPA supports its members, including residents
Value for faculty
- Help residents achieve patient safety-related CanMEDS competencies
- Access tools and resources that support faculty in teaching medical-legal topics
- University of Toronto - Small-scale pilot
- University of Toronto - Large-scale pilot
- McGill University
- University of Toronto
- Queen’s University
- University of Alberta
- Dalhousie University
- University of Ottawa
- 10 Canadian medical schools
- All 17 Canadian medical schools
- List 3 patient safety issues identified from the CMPA’s files involving residents
- Outline the standards for informed consent
- Practise conducting a consent discussion
- Document your consent discussions effectively
- Describe key principles of effective documentation
- Identify at least 1 area for improvement in your medical record-keeping
- Describe the elements of the disclosure of a harmful patient safety incident
- Participate in a simulated disclosure discussion
- Outline one’s responsibilities in safe delegation and supervision
- Practise strategies for critical communication
- Describe how you would foster a ‘speaking up’ culture in your practice
- Describe how the CMPA supports members faced with a medical-legal complaint
- Get answers to your medical-legal questions
For more information, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also be interested in ...
Join other physicians to learn about better management of test results.
An evening to help physicians improve diagnostic errors, medication-related harm, and EMR documentation.