Virtual workshop for residents
CMPA Patient Safety Primer: medico-legal essentials for residents
Covering medico-legal essentials to keep patients safe
“Very well run, effective use of time. Virtual delivery was as effective as in-person. Meeting facilitators were excellent and the medico-legal Q&A was extremely useful. Amazing for residents!” – McMaster University resident (2021)
This interactive and virtual workshop has been developed specifically for first year Family Medicine residents and second year Royal College residents.
Delivered by highly experienced CMPA physician advisors, the workshop covers topics representing medico-legal issues frequently encountered by residents in CMPA case files: documentation, informed consent, disclosure of a patient safety incident (accident in Québec), and teamwork.
What to expect
Live workshop with Physician Advisors with many opportunities for participants to weigh in on commonly encountered questions and scenarios
Get your questions answered at the source with a CMPA Physician Advisor and Legal Counsel
Application of knowledge
Information gained from pre-workshop eLearning activities will be applied to case scenarios
- Recognize the elements of high-quality documentation and how this promotes safe patient care
- Describe the components of an effective informed consent discussion
- Identify the key steps in disclosing a patient safety incident (‘accident’ in Québec)
- Commit to at least one strategy to promote psychological safety and encourage speaking up within your team
The standardized curriculum is based on CMPA medico-legal risk data and the CanMEDS 2015 and CanMEDS-FM competencies.
About the virtual workshop
When will it take place?
Workshops will be offered multiple times throughout the academic year.
Who should register?
Family Medicine residents (PGY1) and Royal College residents (PGY2)
How can I register?
Contact your PGME Office or Program Director for information on how to register. You can register for the date and time that suits you best.
When should I register?
As soon as possible. This is an interactive workshop, so space is limited.
Is there pre-work?
Yes. The pre-work should only take about one hour and is essential to your full participation in the live virtual workshop. Residents will be expected to apply what they learned in the pre-work to scenarios and discussions throughout the live workshop.
Registrants must complete the following materials before the workshop. Information gained from these eLearning activities will be applied to case scenarios presented during the workshop.
A workbook will be included in a reminder email to registrants prior to their chosen workshop date. It will be referred to throughout the workshop, so registrants should have it readily available, either in digital or printed form.
Access a list of additional resources for the topics presented at the workshop.
Here are the technical requirements to help you seamlessly take part in this interactive workshop:
- Use a desktop or laptop computer, rather than a mobile device or tablet
- Download the Zoom app for your device and ensure you have the latest updates (see below)
- Test the technology before the workshop (i.e. camera, speakers, and microphone). You will need to turn on video and speak during the workshop.
- Ensure that your internet signal is strong enough to support an interactive videoconference
- Put other devices, including phones, on silent
- If possible, have your smartphone available to participate in interactive polls throughout the workshop
- Mute yourself if you are not speaking
- Email [email protected] if you are experiencing any technical difficulties before or during the session
You will need to have Zoom installed on your computer in order to fully participate in the live event and have access to all of its interactive features.
- If you do not have a Zoom account, or if you do not have the Zoom app installed on your computer or laptop, go to www.zoom.us/signup to download it before your session
- If you already have the Zoom app installed on your computer, please make sure you have the most updated version by going to "Check for Updates" in the desktop app
- It is not recommended to attend this workshop via mobile device
For more information, email us at [email protected].