Frequently Asked Questions

Need help on using this website? Check out the Technical FAQ.

About the CMPA



What does the CMPA do?

The CMPA provides professional liability protection for Canadian physicians in the form of advice and legal assistance, and contributes to a high quality health care system through its research and education services.

What are the CMPA's office hours?

The CMPA's office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., eastern time.

To send a package by courier, what is the CMPA's street address?

Canadian Medical Protective Association
875 Carling Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario
K1S 5P1

What is the CMPA's mailing address and telephone/fax numbers?

Canadian Medical Protective Association
PO Box 8225
Station "T"
Ottawa, Ontario
K1G 3H7

Telephone: 1 800 267-6522
Fax: 1 877 763-1300

What kinds of assistance does the CMPA offer?

The CMPA provides its members with medical-legal advice and, when warranted, legal assistance for matters arising from a member's professional work. This includes advice and assistance in civil legal actions, regulatory authority (College) complaints, Coroners' inquests, billing audits, and so on.

Is there a limit (a ceiling) to the dollar amount of CMPA assistance (like with an insurance company)?

Unlike an insurance company, the CMPA employs a discretionary approach when providing assistance to its members. This enables the Association to consider rendering assistance to members on a case-by-case basis, rather than through defined policies or protocols. There is no predefined limit on the monetary value of assistance.

How can I obtain medical-legal advice or assistance?

Members who need medical-legal assistance or advice should contact the CMPA as soon as possible. Contact a medical officer by phone, 1 800 267-6522, or submit the Medical-legal assistance form online.

How can I change my address or other personal information?

Members can change personal information online or they may contact the CMPA by telephone.

When and where will an upcoming CMPA education symposium be held? How can I register?

Information and online registration for upcoming symposia is available on the Symposia page.

How can I arrange to have an educational session presented by either a physician from the CMPA or by legal counsel?

Educational sessions are available on request by completing a request form.

I can't find an article that appeared in the CMPA Perspective. What should I do?

All CMPA Perspective articles are available on this website.

  • Go to the Browse articles page and browse articles by topic; or
  • Go to the CMPA Perspective page to view most recent CMPA Perspective articles; or
  • Enter the topic or article name in the Search box, located at the top right of the screen.  
  • If you still can't find an article, contact us.

Does the CMPA provide grants or funding for research?

No, the CMPA grants program concluded as of December 2015. We therefore, no longer accept research grant applications or requests for funding.

Who is eligible for CMPA membership? How do I apply?

You may apply for CMPA membership if you are a graduate in medicine and are duly licensed or registered by a Canadian provincial/territorial medical regulatory (licensing) authority. Apply online here.

I do not have a licence number yet. Can I still submit my application?

Yes, you can. Under the licence/registration information section, simply indicate the type of licence you will obtain and the province/territory of licensure.

Your application will be put on hold until you provide CMPA with your licence number and its effective date.

Will my membership begin as soon as the CMPA receives my application?

Membership can only begin once the CMPA receives your completed application form, licensing information, all necessary documents and payment arrangements.

What is the minimum period of membership for first-time applicants?

First-time applicants must pay for a minimum of two months in the first calendar year.

What is the cost of my annual membership?

To find out how much you need to pay, consult the 2022 Fee Schedule [PDF] or the 2021 Fee Schedule [PDF] or call 1 800 267-6522.

Can membership fees be paid with a credit card? How can I pay my membership fee?

The CMPA does not accept credit cards for payment of membership fees. Members can pay their membership fee by pre-authorized debit.

If you don't have a Canadian bank account at the time of your application, you may submit the application without payment. The CMPA will then contact you with further payment instructions.

Are CMPA fees tax deductible?

About the CMPA annual receipt for membership fee

I need a Statement of Protection which is proof of CMPA membership. How do I get one?

Members can print a Statement of Protection or call 1 800 267-6522.

Can membership be interrupted temporarily?

Members can interrupt their membership temporarily for a period of two to twelve calendar months.

I have finished my residency program, should I inform CMPA?

Yes, use the member self-service to notify CMPA in advance of your new membership requirements, the type of work you will be doing and the province in which you will be practising. You should also update your contact information, if required.

The university requires proof of CMPA membership before finalizing my registration. How can I get this proof?

The CMPA Membership Update is accepted by most universities as confirmation of CMPA membership. Members can print a Statement of Protection or call 1 800 267-6522. Universities who require proof correspond directly with the CMPA and do not usually require individual confirmation. If you have informed CMPA of your training details, your membership will be confirmed directly to your university.

What is the extent of CMPA assistance to residents and clinical fellows?

Residents and clinical fellows are eligible for CMPA assistance for all medical-legal difficulties arising from the clinical work performed in their postgraduate training program and also from performing extra resident shifts.

This clinical work may:

  • be supervised or not;
  • be remunerated or not; and
  • include surgery, on-call, ward and/or clinic work.

What are "extra resident shifts"?

These are additional shifts performed by residents or fellows (at a resident level) under supervision, to help out in their own or other specialties, whether remunerated or not. Residents and clinical fellows (code 12) who work extra resident shifts remain in code 12. 

What is "moonlighting"?

This is independent practice of medicine outside of your postgraduate training program (residency training or structured fellowship program), whether remunerated or not.

Does the CMPA place restrictions on the nature of moonlighting?

There are no restrictions on the nature of moonlighting work.

Does the amount of moonlighting shifts have an impact on my eligibility for assistance?

No, the amount of moonlighting does not impact your eligibility for assistance. Residents and fellows who moonlight must hold a licence/registration acceptable to the regulatory authority (College) in the jurisdiction in which the moonlighting will occur. If you limit your clinical activities to moonlighting work (locum) for more than two consecutive weeks, you must change to a practising physician code. If you are doing occasional moonlighting, you may remain in code 14.

How do I know whether my training program is recognized by the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)?

We recommend you visit the organizations' websites or contact them directly.

What if I decide to change my program and/or university?

If you change your training program or attend another university you must provide the CMPA with the new information. Members can use the General Inquiry form or call 1 800 267-6522.