In accordance with its By-law, the CMPA holds an annual meeting, normally in conjunction with the Canadian Medical Association's annual meeting, making it possible for members to attend both events. Attendance at the CMPA Annual Meeting is generally restricted to members and invited guests.
During the annual meeting, a review of the previous year's performance and the audited financial statements are presented; the results of the council election and the aggregate fee requirement for the forthcoming year are announced; any proposed changes to the CMPA's By-law are discussed and ratified; and questions or concerns from members regarding the Association's business are addressed.
The meeting is normally followed by an information session on a policy matter of interest to physicians.
2017 CMPA Annual Meeting
Québec City, Québec
August 23, 2017
1:30 to 4:30 p.m.
1100 René-Lévesque Blvd. East
Québec, QC G1R 4P3
1:30 - 2:45 p.m.
The CMPA Annual Meeting will feature the presentation of the 2016 financial statements, announce the 2017-2018 CMPA Council, and the 2018 aggregate fee requirements.
Estimated start time of 3:00 p.m. however may begin earlier following adjournment of the business meeting
The physician’s voice: Empowering better healthcare
The CMPA has assembled a panel of highly-qualified speakers to address the important topic of “The physician’s voice: Empowering better healthcare”. The speakers will provide insight into the subject of the physician as advocate, and a Q&A period will follow.
- Moderator: Dr. Hartley Stern, CMPA Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer
- Dr. Antonia Maioni, Associate Vice-Principal (Research and International Relations) at McGill University and professor in the Department of Political Science and the Institute for Health and Social Policy, Dean of the Faculty of Arts, McGill University
- Dr. Annie Léger, Director of Professional Services and University Academics, Centre intégré de santé et de services sociaux (CISSS) de l'Abitibi-Témiscamingue, board member of the Association des conseils des médecins, dentistes et pharmaciens du Québec (ACMDPQ)
- Dr. Andrew Smith, Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Executive of Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto.
By the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- Describe the role of physicians as advocates for their patients and healthcare system improvements.
- Identify the challenges that physicians face when advocating in today’s complex healthcare environment.
- Discuss the medical-legal issues related to advocacy.
- Share best practices and techniques to support effective advocacy.
How to initiate a motion for consideration at a CMPA Annual Meeting
Members who wish to initiate a motion at an upcoming annual meeting are governed by rules and procedures, ensuring a consistent and fair process.
If you would like to bring forward a motion for consideration, complete and sign the Notice of Motion form and Member Support for Notice of Motion form and submit to the CMPA via fax, mail, or personal delivery, or send a scanned PDF file via email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 60 days prior to the annual meeting. Members are encouraged to contact us for further information or to discuss a draft motion prior to submitting it.
Have questions or need more information? Contact us.
Planning to attend? A few things you may want to know
- Pre-registration is not required. Members will register on arrival.
- Members are responsible to reserve their own accommodations.
- Simultaneous English/French translation will be available and all documentation will be provided in both official languages.
- Presentations and documentation provided at the meeting will be posted on this website.
- The meeting will be recorded by video, audio, and photography.
- Attendance at the meeting and information session will constitute consent to potentially appear in these media.
- A webcast of the meeting and information session will be available on the CMPA website within 5 business days.
- The media is also invited to attend.
- It is prohibited, without authority of the CMPA, to record any portion of the annual meeting or information session (including presentations, supporting audiovisual material, posters, and displays), whether by video, audio, photography, or any other mechanism.
- The CMPA is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of all its members, including those with disabilities. Please contact us prior to the meeting if you have any accessibility needs.
Mark your calendar for the Association's future annual meeting and information sessions (dates and venues subject to change).
2018 CMPA Annual Meeting
August 22, 2018
2019 CMPA Annual Meeting
August 21, 2019
Past annual meetings
- View the presentations and webcast from the 2016 CMPA Annual Meeting as well as the information session – Opioid prescribing: Conversations. Collaboration. Solutions. – held in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Find out about the information session on end-of-life care, held at the 2015 CMPA Annual Meeting in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- View the presentations and webcast from the information session about the impact of big data on medical care, held at the 2014 CMPA Annual Meeting in Ottawa, Ontario.
- View the presentations and webcast from the information session about the role of physician leaders in addressing physician disruptive behaviour, held at the 2013 CMPA Annual Meeting in Calgary, Alberta.
- Find out about the information session on physician wellness, held at the 2012 CMPA Annual Meeting in Yellowknife, N.W.T.