Interrupt or end your membership

If you are currently a CMPA member, and plan to take an extended leave from your practice (i.e. sabbatical, parental leave or retirement), you may interrupt or end your membership by contacting the CMPA. You will not be eligible for assistance for any medical-legal difficulties arising from medical care provided during your membership interruption.

If you interrupt your membership for 2 to 12 calendar months and want to reactivate your membership, you do not have to complete a new application form. Simply notify the CMPA.

If you interrupt your membership for more than 12 months and want to reactivate your membership, you must complete and submit a new application form with payment before your reactivation date as described in the Reactivate membership section.

Please sign in to reapply.

A word of caution:

Maintain your CMPA membership during your absence if:

  • You want to maintain your medical licence.
    • You may be required to maintain professional liability protection as a condition of licensure or employment. You should contact your medical regulatory authority (College or licensing body) or regional health authority to ascertain whether or not you need to maintain professional liability protection in your circumstances.
  • You do any medical work, including reviewing laboratory results or prescribe any medication.
    • If you are practising in a non-surgical capacity, choose type of work (TOW) code 35 — Primary professional work in Family Medicine or General Practice (excluding shifts in the Emergency Department, Anesthesia, Surgery, and Obstetrics).
    • If you are in a specialty type of work code, contact the CMPA.
  • You continue to use your provincial billing number for such things as laboratory work or other procedures.
    • You should maintain membership in at least TOW code 20 — Administrative medicine with no clinical contact, provided you have no other medical activities.
  • You are an owner or part-owner of a medical clinic or medical corporation, you should maintain CMPA membership during your absence in order that both you as an individual and your clinic or corporation remain eligible for assistance.
    • Each owner or part-owner of the clinic is required to be a CMPA member in order for the entity (clinic or corporation) to be eligible for CMPA protection. This protection generally also extends to eligible staff employed at the clinic provided they do not see patients independently. For further details, see Assistance to clinics and facilities.
    • If you engage in any medical work, you should select the appropriate type of work (TOW) code, usually defined as your practising code.
    • If you are not engaging in any medical work or clinical activity, you should select the lowest fee code suitable. This may be TOW code 20 – Administrative medicine – no clinical contact.

You do not require medical liability protection if you are no longer practising any medical work or do not have an active license, and do not own in whole or in part, a medical clinic or corporation.

Contact your respective medical regulatory authority (College) if you have any questions about maintaining medical liability protection as a condition of licensure.


If your professional work consists entirely of locum tenens appointments and you anticipate regular interruptions in membership, contact the CMPA to make the necessary adjustments. Refer to Flexible date membership option.

Medical-legal difficulties can arise years after you have interrupted your membership. As such, it is imperative that the CMPA be able to contact you even after your membership has ended. Please remember to advise CMPA of any changes to your contact information.


If you believe you are entitled to a refund, please contact the CMPA. Membership fees can only be prorated to a full month. If you participate in a provincial reimbursement program, you are responsible for notifying the appropriate reimbursement organization of any CMPA refund you receive.


The CMPA's occurrence-based protection means that even after you retire, you will continue to be eligible for CMPA assistance at no additional cost. If later, medical-legal difficulties arise from medical professional activities performed while you were a CMPA member, you and your estate remain eligible for assistance.

Clinics and medical corporations can be named as defendants in litigation. For a clinic to be eligible for assistance in medical-legal difficulties, all of its physician owners must be CMPA members. Active licensure is a requirement of CMPA membership. If you are a physician owner (or part-owner) of a clinic or facility and you retire from medical practice, you must dispose of all ownership shares or proprietary interest, as well as that of any family member, within three years from the date of your retirement in order for the clinic or facility to remain eligible for assistance. However, while you retain ownership, you must remain a member of the CMPA in the type of work (TOW) code with the lowest fee suitable for that purpose, even if you no longer practise. Refer to the most current principles regarding CMPA assistance to clinics and facilities.

What happens if, as a retired physician, you act as a good Samaritan to assist a sick or injured person? In the CMPA's view, you need not retain a CMPA membership solely for this possibility. To the best of the CMPA's knowledge, no lawsuit has ever been brought in Canada against a physician acting purely as a good samaritan.