In accordance with its By-law, the CMPA holds an annual meeting, normally in conjunction with the Canadian Medical Association's annual meeting, making it possible for members to attend both events. Attendance at the CMPA Annual Meeting is generally restricted to members and invited guests.
During the annual meeting, a review of the previous year's performance and the audited financial statements are presented; the results of the council election and the aggregate fee requirement for the forthcoming year are announced; any proposed changes to the CMPA's By-law are discussed and ratified; and questions or concerns from members regarding the Association's business are addressed.
The meeting is followed by an information session on a policy matter or topic of interest to physicians.
2018 CMPA Annual Meeting and Information Session
August 22, 2018
1:15 to 4:30 p.m.
The Fairmont Winnipeg
2 Lombard Place
Winnipeg, MB R3B 0Y3
Planning to attend? A few things you may want to know
- Pre-registration is not required. Members will register on arrival.
- Simultaneous English/French translation will be available and all documentation will be provided in both official languages.
- Presentations and documentation provided at the meeting will be posted on this website.
- The meeting will be recorded by video, audio, and photography.
- Attendance at the meeting and information session will constitute consent to potentially appear in these media.
- A webcast of the meeting and information session will be available on the CMPA website within 5 business days.
- It is prohibited, without authority of the CMPA, to record any portion of the annual meeting or information session (including presentations, supporting audiovisual material, posters, and displays), whether by video, audio, photography, or any other mechanism.
- The CMPA is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of all its members, including those with disabilities. Please contact us prior to the meeting if you have any accessibility needs.
1:15 - 2:45 p.m.
The CMPA Annual Meeting will feature the presentation of financial statements, announce the 2018-2019 CMPA council, and the 2019 aggregate fee requirements.
How to initiate a motion for consideration at a CMPA Annual Meeting
Members who wish to initiate a motion at an upcoming annual meeting are governed by rules and procedures, ensuring a consistent and fair process.
If you would like to bring forward a motion for consideration, complete and sign the Notice of Motion form and Member Support for Notice of Motion form and submit to the CMPA via fax, mail, or personal delivery, or send a scanned PDF file via email to email@example.com at least 60 days prior to the annual meeting. Members are encouraged to contact us for further information or to discuss a draft motion prior to submitting it.
Have questions or need more information? Contact us.
3:00 to 4:30 p.m.
Healthier physicians: An investment in safe medical care
North American surveys show high rates of burnout among physicians. There is also a large body of evidence illustrating the role that physician wellness plays in the delivery of safe and effective healthcare. Recent studies have linked physician burnout to increased healthcare system costs, medical-legal events, and adverse patient outcomes.
The 2018 Information Session will extend the critical conversation occurring around physician wellness by: highlighting the reciprocal relationship between physician health and the health of the system; providing resources to physicians and physician leaders; and demonstrating the importance of investing in physician wellness as a means of advancing sustainability and safety within Canadian healthcare.
The panelists outlined below will provide insight into this subject.
- Theresa Oswald, Chief Executive Officer, Doctors Manitoba and and former Manitoba Minister of Health
- Dr. Carol-anne Moulton, Associate Professor, University of Toronto, and Staff Surgeon, Division of General Surgery, University Health Network.
- Dr. Scott McLeod, Registrar, College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta
- Dr. Hartley Stern, Chief Executive Officer, CMPA.
View the speaker biographies [PDF]