A legal action, complaint to a medical regulatory authority (College), or other medical-legal difficulties arising from a physician's professional work can entail considerable anxiety for all involved. The CMPA is standing by to assist.
When difficulties arise, members are encouraged to contact the CMPA as soon as possible for advice and, if necessary, legal assistance. Contacting the CMPA promptly benefits members because, in our experience, this makes it easier for issues to be resolved.
Examples of the types of medical-legal difficulties with which the CMPA assists include:
- civil legal actions
- regulatory authority (College) complaints, investigations, and disciplinary hearings
- coroner's inquest and other fatality inquiries
- billing audits and inquiries
- hospital complaints and privilege matters
- criminal proceedings
- some general contract and research contract matters
- privacy legislation breaches and privacy complaints
- human rights complaints
As a member, you are eligible for assistance in the form of legal representation, and payment of legal costs, judgments, or settlements to compensate patients when it is determined they were harmed by negligent care.
As your association, we understand each situation is unique and can sometimes be complex. You can be confident in the knowledge that the CMPA is backed by a team of seasoned experts — physicians and legal counsel with experience in all medical-legal areas.