Member Support Program
Our goal is to help members practice safely and in a manner that contributes to their professional integrity and satisfaction.
The program benefits all CMPA members by promoting safe medical care and a sustainable medical liability system in Canada.
Watch the video Introduction to the Member Support Program to learn more.
Who will benefit from the program?
The CMPA Member Support Program was developed to assist members whose medical-legal experience is greater than their peers.
What the program does
The Member Support Program works with members to:
- recognize factors that may be contributing to their medical-legal risk
- identify strategies to decrease the likelihood of future medical-legal events
How the program helps members
By providing personalized support and educational advice, the program contributes to improving the safety of medical care and helps CMPA members by easing stress, foster self-confidence, and return satisfaction to the practice of medicine.
How does the program work?
We recognize that each member and practice is unique. We seek to work with members to discuss and truly understand the circumstances and factors that have contributed to their medical-legal experience.
There are four steps to the program:
- Identification: The CMPA reviews medical-legal case histories to identify members who may benefit from proactive support and assistance. Our physician advisors also help identify members who may have underlying issues in their practice that contribute to an increased level of medical-legal risk.
- Assessment: The Member Support Program team’s assessment includes reviewing up to the last 10 years of a member’s medical-legal history with the CMPA and obtaining the member’s perspective regarding their practice and past medical-legal events.
- Development of an education plan: Following our review, we work with each member to develop an individualized education and support plan to address the factors that may be contributing to their medical-legal risk.
- Ongoing support: The Member Support Program team provides follow-up and support to help the member take an active role to decrease the likelihood of future medical-legal events.
Learn more or join the program
For more information about the Member Support Program, or to request personalized advice and support to reduce your medical-legal risk, please email MemberSupportProgram@cmpa.org.
If you require medical-legal assistance or have a membership-related inquiry, consult the Contact us page for further details.
Frequently Asked Questions
Building on our role as a mutual defence organization, the CMPA developed the Member Support Program to benefit all CMPA members.
The Member Support Program team works with individual members and helps them proactively reduce their risk of future medical-legal events in order to benefit the membership as a whole. Members who have participated in the program are grateful for the opportunity to ease stress and improve their practice.
Our members believe the program supports the CMPA’s broader commitment to safe medical care and a sustainable medical liability system in Canada.
Mutuality is a core principle of the CMPA. As part of a “mutual,” the CMPA and its members collectively share the costs, risks, and benefits associated with membership. The CMPA provides medical liability protection to members, and in turn, members are required to meet certain reasonable expectations.
These expectations include practising in a manner that aligns with the ethics and general expectations of the profession and supports the values of the Association (or mutual) as a whole.
As part of their mutuality obligations, members participating in the program are expected to take an active role to improve the quality of their care and help prevent future medical-legal events.
No. The Member Support Program is intended to benefit all members and its assessment and support services are included as part of CMPA membership. The costs associated with any recommended educational programs will be at each member’s expense.
The CMPA understands the importance of privacy and the protection of personal health information. The Member Support Program team will not share any information regarding members participating in the program with individuals or parties outside the CMPA, including CMPA legal counsel.