Successful Patient Interactions
The Successful Patient Interactions (SPI) course helps physicians and other healthcare providers communicate more efficiently with their patients. This program was developed based on research of key issues and challenges facing Canadian physicians and healthcare professionals during patient interactions.
In addition to improving clinical communication skills, the program is designed to increase patient satisfaction, professional satisfaction, and patient safety.
Key elements of the program
- Provides practical models and tools for more effective patient-physician communication
- Includes development of a clear and actionable plan to improve reciprocal partnerships with patients
- Skills-based and evidence-based
- The relationship between medico-legal risk and patient-physician communication
- Optimizing the consultation and workplace for improved patient-physician interactions
- Linking patient-centered communication to a reciprocal patient-physician partnership built on trust
- Patient interaction model “G.I.V.I.N.G”
- Developing an action plan for improved patient-physician interactions
A total of seven hours plus pre-work and homework between sessions.
- Reducing the risk of medico-legal issues by encouraging and supporting the contributions of patients as valued partners of the healthcare team.
- Describing elements of patient-centered communication that are crucial for building partnerships with patients.
- Developing and integrating new personal strategies to mitigate potential communications barriers in the patient partnership.
- Utilizing simultaneously active listening and check-back skills, by exploring, adapting and practicing elements of these tools at each one of the 5 steps of the G.I.V.I.N.G model.
College of Family Physicians of Canada
This 3-credit-per-hour Group Learning activity has been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada for up to 42 Mainpro+ credits.
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
This activity is an Accredited Self-Assessment Program (Section 3) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and approved by CMPA. You may claim a maximum of 14 hours (credits are automatically calculated).
Fédération des médecins omnipraticiens du Québec
Ce programme se qualifie pour une demande d’accréditation à la FMOQ pour 14 heures de formation reconnues.
Note: In addition to these scheduled virtual open enrollment workshops, CMPA can offer the Successful Patient Interactions course to your organization. You may request a session now.
- Time (2hr workshop)
- Feb 6 (Mon) – March 6 (Mon), 2023
- 4pm ET (1pm PT, 2pm MT, 3pm CT, 5pm AT, 5:30pm NT)
- Register now
- March 20 (Mon) – April 17 (Mon), 2023 (no class on April 10 due to Easter Monday)
- 3pm ET (12pm PT, 1pm MT, 2pm CT, 4pm AT, 4:30pm NT)
- Register now
- April 25 (Tues) – May 16 (Tues), 2023
- 5pm ET (2pm PT, 3pm MT, 4pm CT, 6pm AT, 6:30pm NT)
- Register now
Questions? Contact us at [email protected]