Member Support Program
At the CMPA we’re physicians too, and we know that sometimes we all need a little extra help in our practice. That’s why we offer the Member Support Program (MSP).
The MSP is available to all members. It helps you to:
- recognize and reduce your medical-legal risk
- decrease your likelihood of facing future medical-legal matters
The program offers targeted support services for members whose medical-legal experiences are higher than those of their peers.
By providing customized advice, assistance, and education, the program contributes to improving the safety of medical care by helping CMPA members recognize and address factors that may contribute to a higher-than-average rate of medical-legal experience, returning confidence and satisfaction to the practice of medicine.
- Planning for the MSP is underway, and we anticipate program activities will begin in late 2017.
How does the program work?
The program benefits all members by promoting safe care and a sustainable medical-liability system in Canada. Our goal is to help members practice safely and in a manner that contributes to their professional standing and satisfaction.
When a member’s medical-legal experiences fall outside of the expected pattern, the CMPA conducts a robust and impartial needs assessment based, in part, on an analysis of 10 years of practice history.
This assessment helps to identify any underlying causes if they exist which may be contributing to the member’s increased rate of medical-legal experience. Using this knowledge, we work with you to develop a plan to address the issues and prevent future recurrences.
- Every situation is unique. We work with each member to discuss and truly understand the circumstances and factors contributing to his/her medical-legal experience.
- The program is aimed at members who can genuinely benefit from additional support through MSP activities.
Following the assessment and member input, we will develop an individualized education and support plan to help the member address the factors that are causing difficulties. Depending on the member’s needs, this plan may include recommended education and ongoing assessment.
For more information, please contact MemberSupportProgram@cmpa.org.