FAQ: Residents and residency

I have finished my residency program, should I inform CMPA?

Yes, use the member self-service to notify CMPA in advance of your new membership requirements, the type of work you will be doing and the province in which you will be practising. You should also update your membership profile.

The university requires proof of CMPA membership before finalizing my registration. How can I get this proof?

The CMPA Statement of Protection is accepted by most universities as confirmation of CMPA membership.

  • Members can print a Statement of Protection or call 1-800-267-6522 and use our automated phone attendant to have proof of protection sent via email.
  • Universities that require proof correspond directly with the CMPA and do not usually require individual confirmation.
  • If you have informed the CMPA of your training details, your membership will be confirmed directly to your university.

What is the extent of CMPA assistance to residents and clinical fellows?

Residents and clinical fellows are eligible for CMPA assistance for all medico-legal difficulties arising from the clinical work performed in their postgraduate training program and also from performing extra resident shifts.

This clinical work may:

  • be supervised or not,
  • be remunerated or not, and
  • include surgery, on-call, ward and/or clinic work.

Read more: Residents and fellows

What are "extra resident shifts"?

These are additional shifts performed by residents or fellows (at a resident level) under supervision, to help out in their own or other specialties, whether remunerated or not. Residents and clinical fellows (Type of Work [TOW] code 12) who work extra resident shifts remain in TOW code 12. 

What is "moonlighting"?

This is independent practice of medicine outside of your postgraduate training program (residency training or structured fellowship program), whether remunerated or not.

Does the CMPA place restrictions on the nature of moonlighting?

There are no restrictions on the nature of moonlighting work.

Does the amount of moonlighting shifts have an impact on my eligibility for assistance?

No, the amount of moonlighting does not impact your eligibility for assistance.

  • Residents and fellows who moonlight must hold a licence/registration acceptable to the regulatory authority (College) in the jurisdiction in which the moonlighting will occur.
  • If you limit your clinical activities to moonlighting work (locum) for more than two consecutive weeks, you must change to a practising physician Type of Work (TOW) code.
  • If you are doing occasional moonlighting, you may remain in TOW code 14.

How do I know whether my training program is recognized by the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)?

We recommend you visit the organizations' websites or contact them directly.

What if I decide to change my program and/or university?

If you change your training program or attend another university you must provide the CMPA with the new information. Members can use the General Inquiry form or call 1-800-267-6522 Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET.

Return to main FAQ page