2018 Council elections
The CMPA is governed by an elected council of 30 practising physicians representing 10 geographical areas across Canada. Once elected, councillors serve for a three year term. Each year approximately one-third of the positions on council are scheduled for nomination and election.
Council positions scheduled for nomination and election in 2018
In 2018, 11 council positions are scheduled for nomination and election in the following Areas and Divisions*:
- Area 1 (British Columbia and Yukon): 1 position in Division A and 1 position in Division B
- Area 3 (Saskatchewan, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut): 1 position in Division A or B
- Area 4 (Manitoba): 1 position in Division A or B
- Area 5 (Ontario): 1 position in Division A and 3 positions in Division B
- Area 6 (Québec): 3 positions in Division B
*Visit Understanding council elections for information on Divisions A and B.
Key dates and activities
- October 19, 2017 – Deadline for submissions for consideration by the Nominating Committee
- January 10, 2018 - Release of the Nominating Committee’s slate of proposed candidates
- February 14, 2018 - Deadline for receipt of nominations from members
- March 21, 2018 – Online voting opens for members in areas where elections are required
- April 25, 2018 - Online voting ends
- August 22, 2018 - Election results are announced at the CMPA Annual Meeting
How to seek nomination
There are two ways to seek nomination.
- CLOSED By the Nominating Committee: Members can submit their names for consideration to the Nominating Committee by October 19, 2017.
- The Committee will release the names of proposed candidates through the Report of the Nominating Committee on January 10, 2018.
- By members-at-large in their geographical area: Interested members may also be nominated through the membership. The deadline for nominations by the membership-at-large is February 14, 2018.
Material required to seek nomination
Members interested in being considered for nomination must submit the material detailed in the Candidate Information Guide [PDF].
Information required includes, but may not be limited to, the following:
- 2018 nomination form for election to CMPA council [PDF]
- Curriculum vitae template [DOC]
- Candidate statement
- Colour photo
Please note: The CMPA does not edit or make changes to any information candidates provide as part of the nomination process. Candidates own the content they provide and are solely responsible for content accuracy, format and quality of their material.
Who can seek nomination
Any member of the CMPA in an area and division with positions scheduled for nomination and election may seek nomination by the Nominating Committee or by CMPA members. Current members of council may also choose to seek nomination and re-election for an additional three-year term.
For more information, please visit Understanding council elections.
Visit Understanding council elections to learn more about the council nomination and election process.