2020 Council elections
Each year approximately one-third of CMPA Council positions are scheduled for nomination and election. Any CMPA member in an Area and Division with positions scheduled for nomination and election may seek nomination.
Key dates and activities
October 18, 2019
Deadline for submissions for consideration by the Nominating Committee
February 19, 2020
Deadline for receipt of nominations from the membership
January 15, 2020
Release of the Report of the Nominating Commitee - slate of candidates proposed by Committee
March 25, 2020
Online voting opens for members in areas where elections are required
April 29, 2020
Online voting ends
August 24, 2020
Election results announced at the CMPA Annual Meeting
All documentation required for new nominees and Council members seeking re-election MUST be submitted by deadline.
In 2020, 10 council positions are scheduled for nomination and election in the following Areas and Divisions*.
- Area 1 (British Columbia and Yukon): 1 position in Division B
- Area 2 (Alberta): 1 position in Division A and 1 position in Division A or B
- Area 5 (Ontario): 2 positions in Division A and 1 position in Division B
- Area 6 (Québec): 1 position in Division A and 1 position in Division B
- Area 8 (Nova Scotia): 1 position in Division A or B
- Area 9 (Prince Edward Island): 1 position in Division A or B
*Visit our nomination and election process page for information on Council representation and Divisions A and B.
Who we are looking for
The CMPA seeks and values diversity among Council members. A wide range of perspectives and opinions promotes effective governance and is vital to the CMPA’s ability to respond to the complex, multi-stakeholder environment in which it operates.
We aim for a strong Council committed to equity and diversity where the experience of each member combines to collectively meet the needs of the Association. Our Council aims to reflect diversity across characteristics such as gender, age, ethnicity and race, as well as within medical professionals, seeking a balance of family physicians and specialists, and representation from the entire country.
The CMPA is therefore seeking a diverse pool of candidates for nomination to Council for 2020. We invite and encourage submissions from members from all backgrounds, who feel they can make a unique and valuable contribution to Council.
To become a CMPA Council member
- Read about who we are looking for and your role on Council.
- Learn about the nomination and election process, and the documents you need to submit.
- Complete the candidate submission form (login required) and submit all required material.